Friday, January 16, 2009

MLK Day of Service

During the 1950s and '60s, civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. recognized the power of service to strengthen communities and achieve common goals.
President-Elect Obama has asked Americans to observe Monday's MLK Holiday by performing some action in the days leading up to the Presidential Inauguration to better your own community. So bright and early this Sunday morning, I'll be out, bundled up against the cold, in my work boots, gloves, and bright orange vest, my Ipod in my pocket, picking up trash along a mile of Nevada Highway 50/395 (the photo is from last summer - that's me on the left, in sunglasses and my goofy straw gardening hat). Aries, meanwhile, will be over at an elderly neighbor's place, bringing down a few widowmakers - trees on her property that are leaning over, threatening to fall. Find events in your community here. What are you going to do?

8 comments:

BarbCarol said...

I used the link above to find a community event where we could volunteer, but we are just too remote here in the OK outback. So, we will spend the time helping an 85 year old Muskogee Creek lady by repairing water lines, and other fixups on her mobile home.

Sadge said...

Yea, Carol! Aries isn't the "joiner" type, but he loves to run the chainsaw. So our friend will have a safer place to live plus wood for next winter. Anybody else?

Annodear said...

Hey, what cool link to "anyone's" community activities!! Thanks

Annodear said...

One of my neighbor's fence was recently tagged (spray painted with gang-related graffiti). So I was thinking it would be nice for me and my boys to cover it up ~ and ~ our house is the same color as her fence, so we already have the right color paint ready to go.

I stopped by this afternoon and introduced myself and said what I wanted to do and she was so surprised and thankful. She didn't even know it had been vandalized. She's disabled and won't be able to walk well until after she has knee surgery, so it's also something that she couldn't do for herself :-)

Looking forward to doing our little 'good neighbor deed'.

Sadge said...

Frogtail - that is so totally cool! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea Frogtail. We have a local blood drive today and I am going to try to donate. I say try bcz the last few times I went, I was turned away bcz my iron count was too low (by 1 point). *sighs* Donating might be a little more broad than local. I'll keep my ears open though!

Nancy M. said...

That is such a great idea. I hadn't heard of it. I will see what me and my son can do on short notice.

Annodear said...

Did it :-)