Friday, February 26, 2010

Making Milk Kefir

My latest kitchen experiment is making milk kefir. Kind of like a liquid yogurt, it's easy to make in a jar on the kitchen counter - no messing with maintaining a constant warmth like with yogurt.

All you need to get started are some kefir grains. I got mine by posting a request on my local Freecycle network, but they're also available via the Internet. Tomorrow, Oz-time, is my day to post on the SGF Co-op blog, so I've written about the kefir-making process. You can read about it here.

4 comments:

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Always something new here! Thanks, I have been reading more and more about Kefir.

dhan said...

whether the difference between kefir and yogurt?
Which is better between them?

Sadge said...

Hi dhan!
Kefir and yogurt are both made from milk using a starter culture. The type of culture used is different for each. For yogurt you use a bit of an older batch of yogurt, keeping it warm until it sets up. For kefir, you use the grains, removing and reusing the same ones over and over again, and kefir will culture at room temperature. I don't know how the benefits of the different cultures compare. A big deciding factor about which is better would be, I'd think, the one that you prefer for taste and texture.

Ice Cream Recipes said...

This iis a great post