Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Barbecue Sauce to Can

I'm staying busy, trying to get my harvest in while the weather holds for me. Of course, the longer we go without a killing frost, the more I'll have to harvest, even having to go back over some crops again (I'm not complaining!). Luckily, I have lots of my canning recipes already typed so can get another post done quite quickly. Here's another water bath canning recipe for those tomatoes (the vinegar makes it acidic enough for the water bath method). Hope you planted lots! This, of course, is good on meats, but also can be used to turn cooked, drained, white beans into yummy baked beans.

Barbecue Sauce (8 – 9 pints, depending on what kind of tomatoes you use - you don't want to let it get too thick, cook it down to a good saucy consistency)

15 pounds tomatoes, cored and smashed, cooked down to ± 8 pints, then sieved through a wire mesh strainer

Liquefy in blender and add to sieved tomatoes:
2 C chopped onions
3 large garlic cloves
1 C brown sugar
¾ C white sugar
1½ C vinegar
4 T worcheshire sauce
2 T dry mustard
2 T chipotle powder (or other hot pepper powder)
2 T liquid smoke

Cook back down to ± 8 pints. Leave ¼" headspace when filling sterilized jars, process 30 minutes in a boiling water bath.

I've measured and made notches on a wooden spoon handle so I know when I'm getting close to 8 pints in my enameled cooking pot. A full canner load for me is 9 narrow-mouth pints, so most of my recipes are adapted to that amount.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so clever! I would never have thought about putting notches in my spoon!