Friday, January 8, 2010

Zucchini Brownies

After seeing that zucchini in my last post, the Girl in the Pink Dress asked for more zucchini recipes. In early summer, when we have lots of small, fresh-out-of-the-garden zukes, they'll usually end up either in a quick sauté with garlic and onions, or breaded and baked into zucchini sticks.

This time of year, they often end up in soups and pasta dishes. But it sounds like Girl's really looking for "hidden zuke" recipes (sounds like her husband is a lot like mine). Zucchini hides well in baked goods. After quite a bit of experimenting, I've ended up with a great muffin recipe. The secret is using dry milk instead of adding any more liquid.

Even better than those, though, is a brownie recipe my Colorado sister sent me. Even though this makes a big panful, I'm lucky to get a piece or two from
Mr. Pickymy sweet husband. Sis doesn't blog, so I'm gonna post her recipe:

Zucchini Brownies (the cake type)
1¼ cup sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons baking soda
½ cup applesauce (or can substitute oil)
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups shredded zucchini (I use the big holes on a box grater)
½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
½ cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix liquid ingredients into dry, adding zucchini last. Stir in optional ingredients if using (I always do). Spread the thick batter evenly in 8" x 11" greased pan. Bake 25 - 30 minutes, 350º - until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Mmm, sounds heavenly. I'd have to say, Zukes are one of my favorite squash next to pumpkins.

Annodear said...

Thanks for posting... not that I don't have this recipe safe and sound in my recipe tin ;-)

angela said...

I just made the brownies, and they are a hit.
Even though I am on a diet, they smelled so good that I had to have one.
Yummo!
I will be making these again, soon.
thanks

Ria said...

I'll have to try that recipe at some point. I mentioned it to my roommate, who turned up her nose at the concept, but I suspect that if she tries one and likes it she won't really care that it's got hidden veggies in it!

Melissa Price said...

Wow, I must give those brownies a try, very soon! My hubs doesn't care for zucchini either. I wandered over here from the SGF coop. :) Melissa