Saturday, November 7, 2009

Roasted Tomato Salsa

I can finally get to lots of household tasks that have been waiting for me around here. Sitting on a couple of trays in my spare bedroom, the rest of the tomatoes I picked green in early October had ripened. Plus, I needed to do something with the last of the fresh peppers in the refrigerator. I'd already put up 16 pints of tomato sauce earlier, so decided a batch of salsa sounded good.

My salsa canning recipe is ok, but could be better. Throwback at Trapper Creek had written about roasting her tomatoes for salsa on a post at the Simple Green Frugal Co-op blog a while back, and that sounded good. So I used her recipe, adapting it to what I had on hand.

I grow paste tomatoes for canning, so I just cored them and piled them into a roasting pan to roast more or less whole. After slipping the skins, I had 16 cups of tomatoes, so I increased all the ingredients by half again. I like a chunky salsa, so I just snipped the tomatoes into pieces with kitchen shears right there in the measuring bowl. I thought roasting the peppers would be good too, so I took the last of my fresh green bell peppers and a bunch of the fresh green jalapenos out to the barbecue grill. After they were roasted, sweated, peeled, and chopped, I added a few frozen chile "packets" until I had enough. I used my cayenne pepper hot sauce instead of Tabasco, and added a teaspoon of lime juice to each pint before filling the jars (to make it a bit more acidic, just in case roasting the peppers made more of them fit into the measuring cup). I put up 12 pints, with just a little bit left over for the refrigerator. So now, I'll have to see what Aries thinks.

7 comments:

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Looks delicious! My hubby has developed an allergy to tomatoes now, (I'm thinking all solanums, since potatoes were first)so I still have salsa from last year to use up. But I'll be back at it next year.

Your's turned out beautifully!

Sadge said...

Oh, Throwback, that's too bad about your hubby. Then chiles and peppers will probably end up on his restricted list too. You'll have to concoct something out of peaches and horseradish, I guess.

Jenn's Cooking Garden! said...

Looks great! I love making Salsa's. My favorite is a peach salsa we tried and canned this summer! Its so yummy on Fish! First time to your blog! I love it!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Jenn's right, that is great looking salsa! On of these days.......

Annodear said...

Those are so beautiful!!
And they look very yummy!!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

wow..I found you through Thomas at A Growing Tradition......

that salsa looks amazing.....

I'll check back later for more..

Kary

Doyu Shonin said...

This is gonna be fabulous!