Thursday, November 18, 2010

Microwave Broccoli Cheese Soup

Why open a can, when you can have homemade soup, with fresh ingredients, in less than 20 minutes? This is a good way to use up a little bit of leftover meat, and these veggies are at their best right now. Add a slice of rustic garlic bread, toasted and buttered, and we have a favorite autumn dinner. Tonight, I added a glass of Chardonnay; Aries had a glass of home-brewed dark beer. Hot food, warm tummies.

Microwave Broccoli Cheese Soup (serves 2)

1 cup thinly sliced carrot
1 cup chopped fresh broccoli (or a 10-oz pkg frozen broccoli; or substitute fresh or frozen cauliflower)
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules (optional)
1 cup milk
½ cup shredded cheese (I like cheddar or swiss)
½ cup finely chopped cooked meat (I like chicken, ham, or turkey ham)
2 tablespoons flour

In a 1-quart glass casserole dish, stir together the carrots and broccoli with ½ cup water and chicken granules if using (instead of the little bouillon jars in the soup section of my market, I buy the bigger, cheaper jars from the Mexican food section; if you happen to have some stock in the fridge, instead of the water, even better!). Microwave, covered, 5-7 minutes or until the veggies are tender, stirring once. Stir in the milk, cheese, and meat. Mix the flour into ½ cup cold water until smooth, and stir that in also. Season with a bit of black pepper. Microwave, uncovered, 5-6 minutes, stirring every minute or so, until thickened and bubbly. It's soup!

I just had to post a sunrise photo Aries took this morning, too.

5 comments:

Val said...

Oh this sounds easy and deliciou! Thanks & I LOVE your blog.

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you and your wonderful blog. I am following if that's ok. Thank you for this recipe...YUM YUM!

Annodear said...

That sounds so good! And easy :-)

Beautiful sunrise, too!!

Francesca said...

I just made broccoli and haricot bean soup! It needs something, though, and your garlic bread might just be the answer. I have some polenta leftover, and perhaps I could turn it into some garlic polenta croutons. Buon appetito!

Annodear said...

I made the soup tonight ~ no meat, of course ~ and it was SO GOOD! Dynamite!

When it was finished I was in the mood for a creamier soup, so using one of those little 'stick blenders' I pureed it right in the 4-cup measuring bowl that I'd had it cooking in. Was just delicious. Gonna be revisiting this recipe time and time again :-)
xoxo!