Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Tart Cherry Cake

This is an old (1950's?) recipe from one of Mom's friends. The cake is heavy and dense, almost like a fruitcake. The original recipe called for a can of sour cherries, and was baked in a loaf pan. When I'd make this as a child, for the family, Mom had me use a 9"x13" pan, which works great. While canned or jarred tart cherries (NOT pie filling) can be used, I like to use fresh-picked cherries from my Montmorency tart cherry tree. Frozen tart cherries work fine too.

Tart Cherry Cake (9"x13")


2 tablespoons butter (I use Smart Balance spread)
1½ cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1½ cups flour (I use whole wheat)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1½ teaspoons baking soda
shake salt (original recipe's words)
1 24 oz. can tart cherries (NOT pie filling), drained OR 3 cups pitted fresh or frozen tart cherries
1½ cups nuts (I use chopped walnuts)

Preheat oven 350ºF. Grease and flour 9"x13"pan.
You can just dump everything into a bowl and use a mixer OR use standard scratch cake procedure: cream butter with sugar, add eggs, add dry ingredients, add cherries, mix well until batter forms, add nuts. Spread batter in prepared pan, bake 35-40 minutes (toothpick test). Cool.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this recipe, Sadge! I miss your blog, here.

Jen in Nova Scotia

Sadge said...

Aw, thanks Jen. I post photos on Facebook @Firesign Farm - simple living . . . but don't write like I used to